Our 2015 Summer School will be held from 11-22 May at the Institute of Development Studies in Brighton, UK.
Information about how to apply will appear on this page in October 2014.
About the Summer School
The STEPS Centre Summer School on pathways to sustainability aims to bring together an exceptional group of people who are exploring and developing ideas on pathways to sustainability. Through a mix of lectures, walks, discussions and public events, participants will challenge the STEPS team and each other on questions of science, society and development.
“Wonderful opportunity. A fantastic group of participants, and the very knowledgable faculty treated us as colleagues on this journey towards sustainable pathways together. All in all, a truly memorable and rewarding experience.” 2014 participant
“The summer school exceeded my expectations. I was absolutely amazed at the commitment and time that STEPS directors and staff gave to us. Truly incredible to have so much quality time with them and other students from around the world of such high calibre. Beautiful to have 24 nations in the same room thinking and discussing global to local issues!” 2013 participant
“Academically it enhanced my methodological thinking, professionally, it enhanced my perspectives of career aspirations. Personally, it was very humbling to learn from the multiple talents of the participants.” 2013 participant
“It was challenging, stimulating and also fun, exciting and very engaging. I never expected to have so much time to speak with STEPS staff.” 2013 participant
“I liked the fact that it really was an open space in which everyone’s (teachers AND students) ideas and experiences could be shared and critically engaged with. There was so much critical engagement and that was incredibly enriching. I really valued how much everyone respected each other’s thoughts and ideas” 2012 participant
“An engaging and exciting couple of weeks. It’s been fantastic” 2012 participant
How it works
The Institute of Development Studies (IDS) is the main venue. IDS is on the edge of the Sussex University campus, set in the middle of rolling countryside but with good transport links to Brighton.
The programme includes lectures and discussions, ‘walkshops’ – longer discussions held on walks through the surrounding area – social events, and a chance to play the African Farmer online game. The Summer School also includes some time in smaller groups, where participants get to reflect and discuss their own work, led and mentored by members of the STEPS Centre.
The discussion in these groups goes towards a mini-conference, planned and run by participants themselves, with support from the STEPS team.
Summer School 2014
- Find out more about our 2014 Summer School (12-23 May 2014)
- Summer School 2014 brochure (pdf)
- Storify: The story of the 2014 school
- Video, audio & slides: Mariana Mazzucato lecture The Green Entrepreneurial State
- Video: Feedback from participants
- Photos: Images from the 2014 Summer School
- Participants: Summer School 2014 participant list
Summer School 2013
- Find out more about our 2013 Summer School (13-24 May 2013)
- Storify: The story of the 2013 school
- Video: Michael Jacobs – Capitalism, carbon and climate change
- Presentation: Michael Jacobs’ slides
- Video: Public debate on fuel poverty, climate change and social justice
- Photos: Images from the 2013 summer school
- Participants: STEPS Centre Summer School 2013 participants list
Summer School 2012
- STEPS Summer School 2012 brochure
- Programme: 2012 summer school
- Storify: the story of the 2012 school
- Video: Prof Tim Jackson lecture on the future of the green economy
- Audio: public debate on Rio+20 and collective action for sustainability
- Photos: Images from the 2012 summer school
- Participants: Summer School 2012 (pdf)
Video clips from 2012
Below are some extracts from lectures given in May 2012 by Melissa Leach, Andy Stirling and Ian Scoones.