To be informed of future events, sign up to our events newsletter.
- This event has passed.
Transformations 2017: Transformations in Practice
30th August 2017 @ 8:00 am - 1st September 2017 @ 5:00 pm
The Transformations conference is hosted by the Centre for Environmental Change and Human Resilience (CECHR) at the University of Dundee. It is the third in a biennial series of international interdisciplinary conferences that focuses on transformations towards sustainability. The organisers describe its aim as “addressing contemporary challenges and creating conditions for enhancing people’s wellbeing, today and in the future, while strengthening the Earth’s support system”.
There is a strong presence at the conference for the PATHWAYS Network, a project co-led by STEPS which explores socio-ecological transformations in six sites worldwide – in India, Argentina, China, the UK, Kenya and Mexico. Sessions related to this project include:
Wednesday 30 August
- 10.30 – 11.30 Urban Transformations in India: Emerging Pathways and Sustainable Alternatives – Pravin Kushwaha, Pranav N. Desai and Dinesh Abrol (Room: 2S13)
- 10.30 – 11.30 Alternative pathways to more sustainable food and agricultural systems – Anabel Marin, Patrick van Zwanenberg and Almendra Cremaschi (Room: 2S16)
Thursday 31 August
- 10.15 – 11.15 Promoting spaces for social-ecological transformation: The Transformation-lab in Xochimilco social-ecological system – Lakshmi Charli-Joseph, Hallie Eakin, Jesús Mario Siqueiros-García and Manuel-Navarrete (Room: 2S15)
- 10.15 – 11.15 Whose voice matters? An empirical study on green transformation in China – Chulin Jiang (Room: 2S17)
Friday 1 September
- 11.15 – 12.15 Sustainable Agri-Food Systems – Connecting Local, National and Global Transformations – Adrian Ely, Elise Wach and Rachael Taylor (Room: 2S12)
- 11.15 – 12.15 Transforming sustainable energy access – David Ockwell and Joanes Atela (Room: 2S14)
- 12.30 – 13.30 Being good citizens: a political discourse analysis in China’s green transformation – Lichao Yang and Chulin Jiang (Room: 2S12)
- 14.30 – 15.30 Transforming from the inside out: Gaining traction in entrenched sustainability challenges in Mexico City – Hallie Eakin, Luis A. Bojorquez-Tapia, David Manuel-Navarrete and Andres Baeza-Castro (Room: 2S13)
Other STEPS contributions
Other contributions from STEPS members and partners include Lyla Mehta, who is co-author of a paper on ‘Examining interactions between uncertainty and transformation’, and Shibaji Bose, Upasona Ghosh and Shilpi Srivastava, who have submitted the paper ‘Transformation in Practice: Using photovoice to open up spaces for lived experiences and social change in India’ – drawing on the project on Climate change and uncertainty from above and below.
The latest version of the programme can be downloaded from the conference website.