The Summer School on Pathways to Sustainability was a two-week immersive course on theories and practical approaches to sustainability, through creative, interactive and participatory learning. This page includes an archive of materials from previous summer schools.
Participants explored the theme of pathways to sustainability through a mixture of workshops, lectures, outdoor events and focused interaction with STEPS Centre members. The Summer School ran between 2012 and 2021 with the generous support of the ESRC, International Science Council (ISC) and others. Past Summer Schools included the STEPS Annual Lectures, which were open to the public.
Free online course: Pathways to Sustainability
Our free online course on Pathways to Sustainability, drawing on the Summer School, includes selected reading lists, plus video lectures and questions to guide study.
“A great experience to open up your ways of thinking, grow as a researcher and have fantastic conversations about research, life and everything in between.” 2018 participant
“A great way to expand your network as a PhD student and find like-minded people who I hope to keep in touch with and work with the future.” 2017 participant
“I can honestly say it has been the best 2 weeks of the PhD so far. To be in such an amazing, supportive and inspiring group has been fantastic” 2016 participant
For a participant’s view of the Summer School, read Winifredo Dagli’s blog post about the course in 2018.
Materials from past summer schools
Each year, the Summer School includes a public lecture open to a wider audience.
- Video: Derek Wall: What would Elinor do (about climate change)? (2019)
- Video: Kate Raworth: Economics as if we wanted to survive the 21st Century (2018)
- Video/slides: Achim Steiner: Doomed to fail or bound to succeed? Sustainable Development and the Green Economy Agenda – Revisited (2017)
- Video: Prof Harriet Bulkeley: Can we govern the climate? (2016)
- Video: Prof Mike Hulme on climate change arguments and culture (2015)
- Video/audio/slides: Prof Mariana Mazzucato: The Green Entrepreneurial State (2014)
- Video: Prof Michael Jacobs: capitalism, carbon and climate change | Slides (2013)
- Video: Public debate on fuel poverty, climate change and social justice (2013)
- Video: Prof Tim Jackson: the future of the green economy (2012)
- Audio: Public debate on Rio+20 & collective action (2012)
Summer school 2018
SUMMER SCHOOL 2017
Summer School 2016
Summer School 2015
- Video: Feedback from IDRC-funded participants
- Video: Feedback from participants
- 2015 Summer School Storify.
- Photo gallery (Flickr)